Pre-Natal Chiropractic Care
Pre-Natal Chiropractic Care
Pregnancy is a time of rapid change in a woman’s body - the shape changes, the centre of gravity changes, there is a massive increase in hormones and the ligaments all over the body loosen to prepare the mother to give birth. These massive changes that occur during a very short period of time can cause the body to become stressed and experience structural shifts of the spinal column, which can lead to pain, discomfort, and irregular body function. Chiropractic adjustments performed by a certified prenatal and paediatric chiropractor can help your body better adapt to all of these changes, leading to a healthier pregnancy and birth.
Major structural changes occur during pregnancy and after birth.
“Why does a chiropractor even care about pregnancy and birth?”
The answer can be quite simple, yet many people don’t see it. Most people have a skewed view of chiropractic. Our main role as chiropractors is not to treat headaches and back pain. Rather, we are trained to help each and every patient reach their full potential by allowing their body to work with ease and efficiency.
When an expecting mom receives chiropractic during her pregnancy, it has been shown to:
- relieve the back, neck and joint pain associated with a mother’s changing body.
- reduce labour time and increase ease of delivery.
- help control nausea, acid reflux and other symptoms related to pregnancy.
- help with insomnia, leaving the mom feeling more energized.
- help establish pelvic balance and structure to optimize room for the baby to move and grow. More space to move and grow means that baby can get into a better position for delivery.
- help empower you to make healthy decisions for you and your growing family.
- help you to maintain an overall healthier pregnancy.
Each of these benefits are not only great for mom, but important for what all parents want at the end of their pregnancy—a healthy, happy baby.
The easier a pregnancy and the birth process are, the less stress and strain babies endure, which leads to better bonding, better nursing, better sleeping, and fewer digestive complaints (colic, reflux, and constipation).
Chiropractic Care at Foundation Chiropractic Co. During Pregnancy
Before beginning any sort of care, Dr. Jennifer will sit down with you during a complimentary consultation to discuss your current health concerns, future health goals, and what having a healthy pregnancy means to you. This is a time where you can get to see our office, meet Dr. Jennifer and our health team and decide if we are the right fit for YOU. We are becoming a member of your family’s health tribe and we want to do everything we possibly can do to make you feel comfortable and welcome.
If you like what Dr. Jennifer has to say, the next step is to do a prenatal examination. This examination is tailored specifically to pregnant women and helps to detect spinal shifts and identify the underlying cause of your discomfort and pain (If you have any. We also see lots of expecting mothers without any current health concerns to ensure that they stay healthy throughout the entire duration of their pregnancy). Our pregnancy examination consists of three different diagnostic criteria:
- Structural 3-D Analysis- where we take a look at your posture and your weight distribution. Your posture gives us a big indication as to what is going on with the structure of your spine on the inside.
- Thermography- infrared technology that allows us to detect areas of spinal stress. This measures temperature and is completely safe for pregnant moms, growing fetuses and babies .
- Range of Motion Analysis- to make sure your spine is adapting properly to all of the major changes your body is undergoing.
Once the exam is completed, Dr. Jennifer will come up with a detailed and customized plan to help you have the best pregnancy possible. Your unique plan will include chiropractic adjustments and at-home structural exercises to help promote optimal spinal structure during pregnancy. At Foundation Chiropractic Co., our doctors are trained in a gentle chiropractic technique that involves no twisting or cracking. We have specialized pregnancy pillows that make our prenatal adjustments so comfortable (and moms usually never want to get up!).
Pregnancy pillows make prenatal adjustments so comfortable!
Dr. Jennifer Yakimishyn has her certificate in Paediatrics from the Academy Council of Chiropractic Paediatrics and is certified in the Webster Technique. She has a passion for helping moms ENJOY their pregnancies and helping create HEALTHY and happy families through gentle and specific chiropractic care.
To schedule a complimentary consultation, visit www.foundationoakville.com
- Lisi, AJ. 2006. “Chiropractic Spinal Manipulation for Low Back Pain of Pregnancy: A Retrospective Case Series.” J Midwifery Wom Heal 51 (1): e7–10.
- McMorland, G, et al. 2010. “Manipulation or Microdiskectomy for Sciatica? A Prospective Randomized Clinical Study.” J Manipulative Physiol Ther 33 (8): 576–84.
- Vireday, P. 2008. “Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction.” Pathways to Family Wellness 16
- Pistolese, R.A. (2002). The Webster Technique: a chiropractic technique with obstetric implications. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics,25(6).
Fallon J.M. Chiropractic and pregnancy: a partnership for the future. ICA Int Rev Chiropr. 1990;46(6):39–42.